because i'm a follower - not a leader!
1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
soymilk. right now? chocolate peppermint vitasoy. and chocolate banana over the summer. but just plain ole soymilk for a non-holiday specialty
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
i'm excited to make some stuffed squash and the fixins out of the voluptuous vegan for my dad's birthday on sunday.
bbq seitan sandwiches from 'nomicon
and todd x's pecan pie
3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
EB and salt.
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
disasterous is such a harsh word. there are things i've thrown out, but nothing that i would consider a disaster. i have to say, i can't get into the 'nomicon chickpea cutlets. i know it's me since everyone else in the world loves them, but i just can't make them taste like anything other than meat bubblegum.
5. Favorite pickled item?
6. How do you organize your recipes?
there are cookbooks strewn about my kitchen and hiding in cabinets. i have things bookmarked on my computer and things that i make up myself are stored either in my head or, if i'm not feeling lazy, on an index card in my recipe box.
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
trash, recycling, and compost in the summer.
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?
TLTs with extra mayo.
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
my grandma's mac n cheese
10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
i don't really like ice cream, but if i have to choose one, i like eating the cobbler out of temptation's peach cobbler.
11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
SPOON! spoon is the name of my favoritest wooden spoon. oh spoon, how i love yooooooou!
12. Spice/herb you would die without?
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
hmn. i just cleaned out a bunch of cookbooks i don't use anymore. so i guess the oldest one i've got now would be 'how it all vegan' by sarah kramer
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
forest berry. made by swiss people.
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
cookies. and cupcakes. but mostly cookies.
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
TEMPEH! all the way. then tofu. sometimes seitan.
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
brunch is nice because it feels very unrushed.
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
phonebooks, steve's lunchbox, a pirate, an oversized clothespin, and a basket full of bread, pita, cookies, some nut snack-things
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
cauliflower, tofu, tofutti pizza
20. What’s on your grocery list?
i went shopping this morning, so nothing right now.
21. Favorite grocery store?
shop rite is close. i wish the health shoppe was more consistent with what they had. whole foods is nice, but far and too fucking expensive. i was totally digging fred meyer when we were in fairbanks. i wish we had a decent farmer's market all year.
22. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet.
cheese. and also my mom's zucchini bread. it's easy, but i've just been too lazy to veganize it.
23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa’s because I know you check it every day). Or maybe the top 3?
i check cake maker to the stars, get sconed, and dont eat off the sidewalk every day. tere are others too, but you asked for three.
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
i don't really like candy or chocolate. but if i have to choose, i pick swedish fish.
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
i spent $7 on maybe 2 cups of pecans last week. fucking bastards raised prices for thanksgiving. jesus. other than that, i'm not sure i've bought anything extravagant lately. i got vegan treats two weekends in a row and we ate at candle 79 last weekend, but i didn't pay for that, so i dont know if that counts.
26. What was your favorite food BEFORE becoming veg*n?