Sunday, October 04, 2009

Mofo #4: It's the Great Pumpkin Shortage, Charlie Brown!



for the past few weeks, i've gone to the supermarket in search of cans of pumpkin to begin the fall line-up: pumpkin muffins, pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin cinnamon rolls, pumpkin smoothies, pumpkin oatmeal, pumpkin soup, pumpkin ravioli, the obligatory pumpkin pie - you get the idea - only to be greeted with a vast expanse of empty supermarket shelving where the pumpkin puree once stood.

picture stolen from KCCI8 des moines

it's been weeks and pumpkin just started re-appearing in my part of new jersey. apparently, the nightmare is real and is part of the great pumpkin shortage of 2009. basically, a cold and wet spring made for a serious mess with this year's pumpkin crop.

consider this your psa to buy canned pumpkin when you see it, lest you be reduced to hours of pumpkin baking and scraping to make your own pumpkin puree (who the hell has the time?!?) or WORSE... going without.pumpkin. in october.

you're welcome.


4 comments:

ak1drland said...

Uuugh, I just looked for it earlier today with the Great Pumpkin Shortage knowledge, and no dice. I'm going out again tomorrow. This can't be happening.

KitteeBee said...

thanks for the heads up, wouldn't want to go without pumpkin cheezecake squares unnecessarily...

smooch.
xo
kittee

Anonymous said...

Euh, I never saw a can of pumpkinpuree in my life. It's something we just don't have over here. So, yes, when we want something with pumpkin we have to do it all. Buy it, slice it, cook it, scrape it, puree it, ...
And I love pumpkin food :-(
I hope your shortage is over soon.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

I walked up and down the aisle at my grocery store four times before I saw the small section of pumpkin still left. I think I'm gonna go back and buy about 6 cans or something.